Conformation classes get you and your dog ready to show in the AKC and/or UKC conformation ring. Maverick Dog Training offers handling classes several times each week in Glendale, AZ. We practice hand-stacking, free-baiting, gaiting, and examining your dog in a show-ring type environment. All breeds are welcome, and puppies of any age can come! Please make sure your puppies are current on their vaccinations and please do NOT bring an ill dog to class.
Classes are held at Sunnyside Park in Glendale, AZ. Sunnyside Park is located on Cholla Street (which is between Peoria & Cactus) & 62nd Avenue. This is a small neighborhood park that does not have restroom facilities. We generally meet just south of the basketball court on 62nd Avenue, but if there is irrigation, we move class to the northeast corner of the park.
The cost of each class is $10 per person. We generally take a short break mid-class, at which time you are welcome to switch dogs if you want to bring two. Payment can be made by cash, check, or PayPal/Venmo (credit cards are not accepted for handling class).
If you are new to showing, it is strongly recommended that you take a private conformation lesson prior to attending the group class. Private lessons are $20/half hour and are available before and after the group class. Lessons must be pre-booked online through our EventBrite site. Private lessons that are scheduled DURING class (7:30-8:00 PM or 8:00-8:30 PM) are reserved for clients that are using my handling services. Please book those time slots only if you would like me to work your dog in the class setting.
What to bring to class (or to your private handling lesson)
- Show lead and collar appropriate for your dog
- Bait – treats that your dog loves to work for (large soft treats are recommended, such as string cheese or hotdogs)
- Water & bowl for your dog (especially during summer months!)
- Poop bags (you MUST clean up after your dog!)
- Crate (if you bring more than one dog to class)
- Completed registration form and liability release (available at the class, and only required the first time you attend)
- Cool coat, blanket, etc. – anything you need to keep your dog comfortable!